Sunday 15 February 2015

Gone with the wheeze...

Hello! I am still here and finally seem to be over that seemingly never ending cold/cough/wheezing episode.  

It has been 3 weeks now since my last proper long run and I've been getting increasingly frustrated with long nights of lots of coughing and not much sleep leading me to think that my marathon journey may be over almost as soon as it began. 

However, I am delighted to say that may not be the case now.  I finally stopped the continuous coughing earlier this week but was still a bit chesty so left it until Friday to go out for a test run.  Just a gentle 1.5 miler and it went OK, but, when I got home, the coughing and wheezing started again and I was not a happy bunny.  Yesterday I spent the day walking/clambering over rocks to beautiful deserted beaches in South Devon in which I probably covered a good few miles walking but I did feel better yesterday evening and my legs still feel strong (even when hiking up massive hills), which is encouraging.  

Today was supposed to be an 11 mile run, obviously that didn't happen, but a 2 mile run did.....so far, my lungs feel like they are pretty much back to normal with not a single cough or wheeze occurring in the 30 minutes I've been home. - woohoo!

The next step is to somehow ramp up the mileage so I can catch up with the training. The Marathon is 8 weeks today so I'm not sure how I will achieve that but i'm going to give it a good go - even if I end up running half of it then walking the rest, I AM determined to finish!

For next weekend, a 10k race is planned so I'm planning to cover all the training runs leading up to the weekend then try for a 9 or 10 mile run/walk instead to prepare me for the 15 miler planned for the following week. I will also make it my mission to avoid anyone with the slightest sniffle like the plague so if anyone with a cough or a molecule of snot on their person comes within a metre of me please don't be offended if I run away from you!

So, to get back on track I definitely need some inspiration and this week I think Albert Einstein captures my current situation quite nicely in this qoute....

Image result for achieve the impossible quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment