Tuesday 23 April 2013

The beginning....

Ok, so yesterday I was merrily jogging away on the treadmill at the gym, absent mindedly listening to   90's dance tunes, when I noticed the highlights from the London marathon were being shown on the TV.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but later - with my lardy behind perched precariously upon a static bike - I was suddenly struck with a compulsion to enter a marathon!

As soon as I arrived home I eagerly went online to look up details on how to go about entering a marathon, considered the London one but was put off by the fact that you don't know if you are successful in the ballot until October (the lazy git in me didn't want to put any effort in to training if it turned out to be for nothing!). So I thought I'd go for Brighton marathon instead, plus running along the coast has got to beat London any day!  There was a horrible feeling of dread as I entered my card details to secure my place and my heart felt like it was trying to escape my chest (most likely at the prospect of having to do some work)  as I clicked to confirm.  Oh £@&! What had I done!!

Now, anyone who knows me will be aware that I'm not the most athletic of people and to be honest can appear to be downright lazy most of the time.  I barely managed to waddle round the 5k race for life course last year so I know that the reaction from the majority of people will be disbelief, coupled with raucous laughter - lucky I like making people laugh ;) 

I am embarking on this epic challenge for a number of reasons; firstly, it's something I've always wanted to try but never had the confidence to even consider it; secondly, I'd like to inspire other people to push themselves and realise that they are capable of so much more than they think they are; thirdly I'll be raising money for charity, which is always a good thing :)

Writing this blog will hopefully be a way of maintaining my sanity through what will probably be the most challenging - mentally, physically and socially - year of my life!


Right, I had better go for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment